How to get newspaper articles scans with thicker letters?

Technical Support for PaperScan.
pstein

How to get newspaper articles scans with thicker letters?

Post by pstein » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:57 am

Assume I scan a newspaper article.

The resulting *.png picture contain oftentimes thin letters.

How can I tell PaperScan to make them thicker (more fuzziness at the borders of the chars is acceptable)

I guess I have to tell PaperScan to use a different focus value.

How can I achieve this?

Peter

Hugo

Re: How to get newspaper articles scans with thicker letters?

Post by Hugo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:03 pm

If the letters are thinner than they appear on the page you are scanning then you might want to investigate your scanner's options. You can do so by clicking on "acquire" and then "Start Wizard". In the acquisition wizard there should be an option called "Advanced device options...". Click on the option just mentioned and depending on your scanner you may find resolution settings or options to better scan those characters. This is where you may be able to find the "focus value" you speak of. Paperscan cannot directly change this from its options however this is controlled by your scanner which paperscan communicates with and is able to access its options.
There is also other methods you can try. Go to the Image Processing tab on the client and change the filter and effect options. This may help with the issue and in making your page the way you want it.

If your issue persists do not hesitate to send us a ticket with a screenshot of the page.